- The U-SHIP Enrollment/Waiver site is now closed for Spring Quarter. New students for Summer Quarter will be able to enroll/waive U-SHIP at the beginning of June. Please check back on this site for updates.
- Students who were abroad Autumn Quarter, but will then come to campus for a subsequent quarter (i.e., Winter or Spring) may Petition to Add U-SHIP mid-year due to relocation to Chicago. For more information please refer to this FAQ.
- For 2020-21, we are adjusting the comparable coverage requirements to accommodate students who are studying remotely and would like to waive U-SHIP. Students must have alternate comparable coverage for the area in which they are residing. Students studying outside of the U.S. must be enrolled in a plan that covers them in their country of residence; this may include a plan provided by the government of that country. Please click here for a list of comparable coverage requirements for 2020-21.
- For additional information regarding the U-SHIP 2020-21 enrollment/waiver process, please refer to this FAQ. Students may also contact the student insurance staff with any other questions.
Confirming or Waiving Your U-SHIP Enrollment
- You must complete the enrollment/waiver application each year.
- Your U-SHIP coverage will be active for the period 9/1/20-8/31/21, provided you remain in a U-SHIP eligible status.
- Your alternate insurance plan must meet all the criteria outlined on this checklist.
- You are automatically assessed a health insurance fee (first installment) the quarter you first register; this does not confirm your coverage in U-SHIP. The fee will only be removed from your student account when your waiver has been approved.
- After the enrollment period, your insurance selection will remain on file through August 31, 2021 (unless you experience a qualifying life event necessitating a mid-year change).
- Dependents are not automatically enrolled in U-SHIP; you must add them to your coverage each year. Students who enroll dependents 14 years or older on U-SHIP will also be assessed a USHIP dependent fee ($326). Important Note: Students are required to provide proof of dependent status in order to enroll dependents on U-SHIP, according to University policy. More information can be found in the dependent section.
- Some academic programs are not eligible for U-SHIP, but do have an option to purchase voluntary "opt-in" coverage directly from UnitedHealthcare. Further information along with the list of programs can be found under Opt-In (Voluntary) Coverage.
Students approved to register as a student after the insurance deadline must submit a manual insurance enrollment/waiver application within 10 days of registration if they wish to waive U-SHIP coverage. Failure to do so will result in the student remaining enrolled in U-SHIP coverage for the remainder of the plan year. Please contact the on-campus insurance coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org or 773.834.4543 (Option 2) for the manual insurance enrollment/ waiver application.