- New and returning students for Autumn Quarter may now confirm their enrollment in the University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP) or waive with comparable coverage. All students in insurance-eligible programs, regardless of their place of residence this year, must take action before the deadline October 16th at twelve noon (CST). This is an annual requirement. Students who do not enroll/waive U-SHIP by the deadline will be enrolled in U-SHIP by default for the year and assessed the quarterly premium on the student’s account. To enroll in or waive U-SHIP click here.
- For 2020-21, we are adjusting the comparable coverage requirements to accommodate students who are studying remotely and would like to waive U-SHIP. Students must have alternate comparable coverage for the area in which they are residing. Students studying outside of the U.S. must be enrolled in a plan that covers them in their country of residence; this may include a plan provided by the government of that country. Please click here for a list of comparable coverage requirements for 2020-21.
- For additional information regarding the U-SHIP 2020-21 enrollment/waiver process, please refer to this FAQ. Students may also contact the student insurance staff with any other questions.
Confirming or Waiving Your U-SHIP Enrollment
- You must complete the enrollment/waiver application each year.
- Your U-SHIP coverage will be active for the period 9/1/20-8/31/21, provided you remain in a U-SHIP eligible status.
- Your alternate insurance plan must meet all the criteria outlined on this checklist.
- You are automatically assessed a health insurance fee (first installment) the quarter you first register; this does not confirm your coverage in U-SHIP. The fee will only be removed from your student account when your waiver has been approved.
- After the enrollment period, your insurance selection will remain on file through August 31, 2021 (unless you experience a qualifying life event necessitating a mid-year change).
- Dependents are not automatically enrolled in U-SHIP; you must add them to your coverage each year. Students who enroll dependents 14 years or older on U-SHIP will also be assessed a USHIP dependent fee ($326). Important Note: Students are required to provide proof of dependent status in order to enroll dependents on U-SHIP, according to University policy. More information can be found in the dependent section.
- Some academic programs are not eligible for U-SHIP, but do have an option to purchase voluntary "opt-in" coverage directly from UnitedHealthcare. Further information along with the list of programs can be found here under Opt-In (Voluntary) Coverage.
Students approved to register as a student after the insurance deadline must submit a manual insurance enrollment/waiver application within 10 days of registration if they wish to waive U-SHIP coverage. Failure to do so will result in the student remaining enrolled in U-SHIP coverage for the remainder of the plan year. Please contact the on-campus insurance coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org or 773.834.4543 (Option 2) for the manual insurance enrollment/ waiver application.