- The 2021-22 U-SHIP enrollment/waiver site is now open to new Summer Quarter students as well as students returning from a temporary leave. The deadline to enroll/waive U-SHIP for Summer Quarter is Friday, July 1st. Students who do not take action to enroll/waive U-SHIP by the deadline will be enrolled in U-SHIP by default for the remainder of the plan year (until August 31, 2022). The Summer Quarter premium will be assessed on the student account. For more information about enrollment/waiver requirements, click here.
- The 2022-2023 U-SHIP enrollment/waiver site will open August 1st. Please check back on this site for more information this summer.
- Effective for the 2021-22 coverage year, which begins 9/1/21, U-SHIP enrollment is required for all PhD students at the University of Chicago. As such, PhD students are not eligible to waive U-SHIP with comparable coverage. Individual student premiums will be paid for PhD students at no cost to them.
- Read the University’s Student Health Insurance policy in the Student Manual.
Confirming or Waiving Your U-SHIP Enrollment
- You must complete the enrollment/waiver application each year.
- Your U-SHIP coverage will be active for the period 9/1/21-8/31/22, provided you remain in a U-SHIP eligible status.
- Your alternate insurance plan must meet all the criteria outlined on this checklist.
- You are automatically assessed a health insurance fee (first installment) the quarter you first register; this does not confirm your coverage in U-SHIP. The fee will only be removed from your student account when your waiver has been approved.
- After the enrollment period, your insurance selection will remain on file through August 31, 2022 (unless you experience a qualifying life event necessitating a mid-year change).
- Dependents are not automatically enrolled in U-SHIP; you must add them to your coverage each year. Students who enroll dependents 14 years or older on U-SHIP will also be assessed a USHIP dependent fee ($331). Important Note: Students are required to provide proof of dependent status in order to enroll dependents on U-SHIP, according to University policy. More information can be found in the dependent section.
- Some academic programs are not eligible for U-SHIP, but do have an option to purchase voluntary "opt-in" coverage directly from UnitedHealthcare. Further information along with the list of programs can be found under Opt-In (Voluntary) Coverage.
Students approved to register as a student after the insurance deadline must submit a manual insurance enrollment/waiver application within 10 days of registration if they wish to waive U-SHIP coverage. Failure to do so will result in the student remaining enrolled in U-SHIP coverage for the remainder of the plan year. Please contact the student insurance advocates at email@example.com or 773.834.4543 (Option 2) for the manual insurance enrollment/ waiver application.