- The U-SHIP enrollment/waiver site is now open for Winter Quarter 2024. New students for Winter Quarter, as well as students returning from Autumn Quarter leave, are required to enroll in or waive U-SHIP with comparable coverage before the deadline: January 19, 2024. To enroll/waive U-SHIP click here.
- Students who do not take action to enroll/waive by the deadline will be enrolled in U-SHIP by default for the remainder of the policy year (through 8/31/24) and the quarterly U-SHIP premium will remain on the student’s Bursar account. Mid-year waivers are only possible with a qualifying life event. For more information visit: https://wellness.uchicago.edu/student-insurance/u-ship/mid-year-changes/
- Students who were enrolled in U-SHIP for Autumn Quarter 2023 will automatically have their coverage rolled over for Winter Quarter provided they remain in a U-SHIP eligible status at the University. No action is needed on the part of the student.
- Effective 9/1/21, U-SHIP enrollment is required for all PhD students at the University of Chicago. As such, PhD students are not eligible to waive U-SHIP with comparable coverage. Individual student premiums will be paid for PhD students at no cost to them.
- U-SHIP Eligibility: The University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP) generally is available to all registered students enrolled in programs that convene in the Hyde Park Campus and their eligible dependents. Students in certain designated programs may not be eligible for coverage under U-SHIP. For additional information on specific University programs of study that are ineligible for insurance coverage under U-SHIP, students should contact their area Dean of Students Office or the Registrar. Students in certain programs may be eligible to opt-in to U-SHIP (see more information about the opt-in plan below).
- Read the University’s Student Health Insurance policy in the Student Manual.
Confirming or Waiving Your U-SHIP Enrollment
- You must complete the enrollment/waiver application each year.
- Your U-SHIP coverage will be active for the period 9/1/23-8/31/24, provided you remain in a U-SHIP eligible status.
- Your alternate insurance plan must meet all the criteria outlined on this checklist.
- You are automatically assessed a health insurance fee (first installment) your first quarter of registration for the academic year; this does not confirm your coverage in U-SHIP. The fee will only be removed from your student account when your waiver has been approved, provided you waive by the deadline.
- After the enrollment period, your insurance selection will remain on file through August 31, 2024 (unless you experience a qualifying life event necessitating a mid-year change).
- Dependents are not automatically enrolled in U-SHIP; you must add them to your coverage each year. Important Note: Students are required to provide proof of dependent status in order to enroll dependents on U-SHIP, according to University policy. More information can be found in the dependent section.
- Some academic programs are not eligible for U-SHIP, but do have an option to purchase voluntary "opt-in" coverage directly from UnitedHealthcare. Further information along with the list of programs can be found under Opt-In (Voluntary) Coverage. Note: the Opt-In (Voluntary) Coverage program will no longer be available after the 2023-24 policy year.
Students approved to register as a student after the insurance deadline must submit a manual insurance enrollment/waiver application within 10 days of registration if they wish to waive U-SHIP coverage. Failure to do so will result in the student remaining enrolled in U-SHIP coverage for the remainder of the plan year. Please contact the student insurance advocates at email@example.com or 773.834.4543 (Option 2) for the manual insurance enrollment/ waiver application.