- The enrollment/waiver period for 2019-20 is open and will close on October 18, 2019.
Confirming or Waiving Your U-SHIP Enrollment
- You must complete the enrollment/waiver application each year.
- Your alternate insurance plan must meet all the criteria outlined on this checklist.
- You are automatically assessed a health insurance fee (first installment) the quarter you first register; this does not confirm your coverage in U-SHIP. The fee will only be removed from your student account when your waiver has been approved.
- After the enrollment period, your insurance selection will remain on file through August 31, 2020 (unless you experience a qualifying life event necessitating a mid-year change).
- Dependents are not automatically enrolled in U-SHIP; you must add them to your coverage each year. Students who enroll dependents 14 years or older on U-SHIP will also be assessed a USHIP dependent fee ($326). Important Note: Students are required to provide proof of dependent status in order to enroll dependents on U-SHIP, according to University policy. This applies to all students, including those who currently have a dependent on U-SHIP. More information can be found in the dependent section.
- Some academic programs are not eligible for U-SHIP, but do have an option to purchase voluntary "opt-in" coverage directly from UnitedHealthcare. Further information along with the list of programs can be found here under Opt-In (Voluntary) Coverage.
Students approved to register as a student after the insurance deadline must submit a manual insurance enrollment/waiver application within 10 days of registration if they wish to waive U-SHIP coverage. Failure to do so will result in the student remaining enrolled in U-SHIP coverage for the remainder of the plan year. Please contact the on-campus insurance coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org or 773.834.4543 (Option 2) for the manual insurance enrollment/ waiver application.