- Open enrollment for Winter Quarter is December 1, 2019 - January 24, 2020 at 12 noon CST. To enroll or waive U-SHIP, click here. Please note: this enrollment period is for students beginning their program Winter Quarter or students returning Winter Quarter after a temporary absence from the University.
- Watch this year's video on the student insurance requirement.
- Enrollment is now available on the federal exchange for 2020. Visit healthcare.gov for more information.
The University requires all registered students to carry adequate health insurance to cover, among other costs, hospitalization and outpatient diagnostic, testing and surgical procedures. Additionally, the insurance must cover medical care provided in the Chicago area for both emergency and routine, non-emergency medical situations (or, if the student will not be in Chicago, it must provide this coverage wherever the student will be residing and studying during the academic year). In keeping with this requirement, each year all students registered in an insurance-required program are enrolled in the University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP). Students wishing to waive out of U-SHIP coverage must review the comparable coverage checklist and affirm possession of alternate comparable coverage before the enrollment/waiver deadline. Students who do not enroll in or waive the student insurance plan by the deadline will by default be enrolled in U-SHIP and remain enrolled in U-SHIP through the end of the plan year, and thus will be responsible for the annual premium, which is billed in three installments.
For further details on the policy, please refer to the Student Manual.
The U-SHIP premium is billed on your student account in three installments, generally on the Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarterly bills. Please note, you will be automatically assessed a health insurance fee on your Bursar bill the first quarter you are registered in the academic year (see billing cycle info below); this does not mean you've enrolled/confirmed your coverage in U-SHIP. The fee will only be removed if you successfully complete a waiver. Regardless of which quarter a student enters the University, the Spring Quarter premium provides coverage from the start of Spring Quarter through August 31. Students whose first quarter of enrollment is Summer Quarter will be billed for that period’s premium on their Summer bill.
It should be noted that students in insurance-required programs are assessed a fee each quarter which provides access to Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS), from where students on U-SHIP must obtain referrals to seek care (per condition, not per visit) outside of SHCS. Without a referral, an additional $50 non-referral deductible will be applied for each appointment provided outside of SHCS.
|Annual Premium||Summer Only|
|Spouse/ Eligible same-gender domestic partner||$4,566||$885|
|Two or more children||$9,078||$1,760|
|Spouse/ Eligible same-gender domestic partner + two or more children||$13,590||$2,635|
- If your first quarter is Autumn, you will be assessed three installments on your Bursar bill (Autumn, Winter, Spring quarters).
- If you first quarter is Winter, you will be assessed two installments on your Bursar bill (Winter and Spring).
- If your first quarter is Spring, you will be assessed one installment on your Bursar bill (Spring).
- U-SHIP coverage continues through to August 31st but students do not pay a summer premium unless summer is your FIRST and/or ONLY quarter of registration at the University.
The chart below indicates which quarters your student account will be charged, based on the first quarter you are registered:
|First Quarter Registered in the academic year||Autumn Quarter||Winter Quarter||Spring Quarter||Summer Quarter|
|Autumn||x||x||x||included in spring premium|
|Winter||x||x||included in spring premium|
|Spring||x||included in spring premium|
The University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP) is underwritten by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company and is administered by UnitedHealthcare Student Resources. More information about benefits and coverage can be found at the below links.
|Deductible||Amount you pay for medical costs, before U-SHIP begins to pay for covered services.||$500||$1000|
|Annual out-of-pocket maximum||Amount you pay out of pocket before U-SHIP pays 100% for covered health benefits, subject to any benefit maximums or limits that may apply. (Applicable co-pays and deductibles will be applied to out-of-pocket maximums.)||$1500||$2500|
|Co-Insurance||The percentage of covered medical expenses that you are responsible for.||10% (plan pays 90% after deductible has been met)||30% (plan pays 70% after deductible has been met)|
|Co-pay for doctor/specialist visit||Specified dollar amount you pay for certain covered medical expenses||$20 per visit; co-insurance applies||Co-insurance and deductible apply|
|Co-pay for psychotherapy with Student Counseling Services community providers||Specified dollar amount you pay for psychotherapy with SCS providers. (SCS referral required)||$10|
|Prescriptions paid by co-pay||Tier 1: $10; Tier 2: $25; Tier 3: $40||No Benefit|
If you're enrolled in one of the following programs, you can opt-in to U-SHIP by purchasing annual only coverage directly through UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR). For students whose first quarter of registration is Winter Quarter, your coverage will become effective the date premium is received by UHCSR or January 1, 2020, whichever is later. Coverage will continue until August 31, 2020.
- Booth School evening and part-time programs
- Social Service Administration evening and post-Masters certificate programs
- Harris School of Public Policy: Part-time Evening Master's Program
- Graham School of Continuing Studies (following programs only):
- Master of Liberal Arts
- Master of Science in Analytics (part-time program)
- Master of Science in Threat and Response Management
- Master of Science in Biomedical Informatics
- Returning Scholars
Enrollment must occur the first quarter of registration for the year (usually Autumn Quarter) and will remain enrolled through August 31st of that plan year. Students voluntarily enrolled in the opt-in plan are not permitted to terminate U-SHIP mid year.
Students who have purchased opt-in coverage are not assessed the student services fee and thus are not eligible to visit the Student Health Service or Student Counseling Service for a referral. Students who opt-in to U-SHIP are not required to receive a referral from SHCS prior to visiting a provider, and are not charged the $50 non-referral deductible.
For questions about opt-in (voluntary) enrollment, please contact the on-campus insurance coordinators at 773.834.4543 (Option 2) or email@example.com.
Upon termination of U-SHIP coverage, if a student was enrolled in U-SHIP for at least six (6) consecutive months prior to termination, that student is eligible to enroll in continuation coverage for up to three (3) months. Please download and complete this form to enroll.
Students who arrive on campus before the beginning of the University's Autumn Quarter may have a gap between their matriculation date and the start of the U-SHIP, which begins on September 1. For students who want/ need health insurance during the month of August, there is the OPTION of enrolling in coverage directly with UnitedHealthcare Student Resources. It's important to note that this plan is not mandatory and students are not automatically enrolled in it.
To enroll in early arrival coverage, please follow these instructions:
- Go to www.uhcsr.com/uchicago
- Select Policy Year 2019-2020
- Scroll down until you see "Medical-Student Plan" and then click EXPLORE POLICY
- Scroll down the page and then click ENROLL NOW (beneath Enrollment Documents, right-hand corner)
- Under What insurance category best describes you? select “Early Arriving Student”
- Complete the remaining steps
If you have questions about the early arrival coverage or the U-SHIP in general, please contact the on-campus insurance office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-834-4543 (press option #2).