Announcements and COVID-19 Information
- Students enrolled in insurance-required programs are automatically assessed a health insurance fee (first installment) on the Autumn Quarter bill; this does not confirm your coverage in U-SHIP. The fee will only be removed if you successfully complete a waiver.
- For 2020-21, we are adjusting the comparable coverage requirements to accommodate students who are studying remotely and would like to waive U-SHIP. Students must have alternate comparable coverage for the area in which they are residing. Students studying outside of the U.S. must be enrolled in a plan that covers them in their country of residence; this may include a plan provided by the government of that country. Please click here for a list of comparable coverage requirements for 2020-21.
- Students who are abroad Autumn Quarter, but will then come to campus for a subsequent quarter (i.e., Winter or Spring) may Petition to Add U-SHIP mid-year due to relocation to Chicago. For more information please refer to this FAQ.
- For additional information regarding the 2020-21 U-SHIP enrollment/waiver process, please refer to this FAQ. Students may also contact the student insurance office with any other questions.
- UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR) has issued new information on coverage related to COVID-19 as well as waiving cost-sharing for telehealth services. More information can be found on UHCSR's FAQ page.
The University requires all registered students to carry adequate health insurance to cover, among other costs, hospitalization and outpatient diagnostic, testing and surgical procedures. Additionally, the insurance must cover medical care provided in the Chicago area for both emergency and routine, non-emergency medical situations (or, if the student will not be in Chicago, it must provide this coverage wherever the student will be residing and studying during the academic year). In keeping with this requirement, each year all students registered in an insurance-required program are enrolled in the University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP). Students wishing to waive out of U-SHIP coverage must review the comparable coverage checklist and affirm possession of alternate comparable coverage before the enrollment/waiver deadline. Please note that the comparable coverage requirements have been adjusted for the 2020-21 academic year to allow students residing outside the U.S. to meet our coverage requirements.
Students who do not enroll in or waive the student insurance plan by the deadline will by default be enrolled in U-SHIP and remain enrolled in U-SHIP through the end of the plan year, provided they remain in a U-SHIP eligible status. Premium will be assessed in quarterly installments on their student account.
For further details on the policy, please refer to the Student Manual.
To waive U-SHIP, students must affirm that they have insurance that meets the University’s comparable coverage requirements.
The U-SHIP premium is billed on your student account in three installments, generally on the Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarterly bills. Please note, you will be automatically assessed a health insurance fee on your Bursar bill the first quarter you are registered in the academic year (see billing cycle info below); this does not mean you've enrolled/confirmed your coverage in U-SHIP. The fee will only be removed if you successfully complete a waiver. Regardless of which quarter a student enters the University, the Spring Quarter premium provides coverage from the start of Spring Quarter through August 31. Students whose first quarter of enrollment is Summer Quarter will be billed for that period’s premium on their Summer bill.
It should be noted that students in insurance-required programs are assessed a fee each quarter which provides access to UChicago Student Wellness, from where students on U-SHIP must obtain referrals to seek care (per condition, not per visit) outside of UChicago Student Wellness. Without a referral, an additional $50 non-referral deductible will be applied for each appointment provided outside of UChicago Student Wellness. Note: UChicago Medicine is considered an outside provider.
|Annual Premium||Summer Only|
|Spouse/ Eligible same-gender domestic partner||$4,566||$885|
|Two or more children||$9,078||$1,760|
|Spouse/ Eligible same-gender domestic partner + two or more children||$13,590||$2,635|
- If your first quarter is Autumn, you will be assessed three installments on your Bursar bill (Autumn, Winter, Spring quarters).
- If you first quarter is Winter, you will be assessed two installments on your Bursar bill (Winter and Spring).
- If your first quarter is Spring, you will be assessed one installment on your Bursar bill (Spring).
- U-SHIP coverage continues through to August 31st but students do not pay a summer premium unless summer is your FIRST and/or ONLY quarter of registration at the University.
The chart below indicates which quarters your student account will be charged, based on the first quarter you are registered:
|First Quarter Registered in the academic year||Autumn Quarter||Winter Quarter||Spring Quarter||Summer Quarter|
|Autumn||x||x||x||included in spring premium|
|Winter||x||x||included in spring premium|
|Spring||x||included in spring premium|
The University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP) is underwritten by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company and is administered by UnitedHealthcare Student Resources. More information about benefits and coverage can be found at the below links.
|Deductible||Amount you pay for medical costs, before U-SHIP begins to pay for covered services.||$500||$1000|
|Annual out-of-pocket maximum||Amount you pay out of pocket before U-SHIP pays 100% for covered health benefits, subject to any benefit maximums or limits that may apply. (Applicable co-pays and deductibles will be applied to out-of-pocket maximums.)||$1500||$2500|
|Co-Insurance||The percentage of covered medical expenses that you are responsible for.||10% (plan pays 90% after deductible has been met)||30% (plan pays 70% after deductible has been met)|
|Co-pay for doctor/specialist visit||Specified dollar amount you pay for certain covered medical expenses||$20 per visit; co-insurance applies||Co-insurance and deductible apply|
|Co-pay for psychotherapy with Student Counseling Services community providers||Specified dollar amount you pay for psychotherapy with SCS providers. (SCS referral required)||$10|
|Prescriptions paid by co-pay||Tier 1: $10; Tier 2: $25; Tier 3: $40||No Benefit|
If you're enrolled in one of the following programs, you can opt-in to U-SHIP by purchasing annual only coverage directly through UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR). For students whose first quarter of registration is Winter Quarter, your coverage will become effective January 1, 2021, if enrollment is received by the January 22, 2021 deadline. Coverage will continue until August 31, 2021.
- Booth School evening and part-time programs
- Social Service Administration evening and post-Masters certificate programs
- Harris School of Public Policy: Part-time Evening Master's Program
- Graham School of Continuing Studies (following programs only):
- Master of Liberal Arts
- Master of Science in Analytics (part-time program)
- Master of Science in Threat and Response Management
- Master of Science in Biomedical Informatics
- Returning Scholars
Enrollment must occur the first quarter of registration for the year (usually Autumn Quarter) and will remain enrolled through August 31st of that plan year. Students voluntarily enrolled in the opt-in plan are not permitted to terminate U-SHIP mid year.
Students who have purchased opt-in coverage are not assessed the student services fee and thus are not eligible to visit UChicago Student Wellness for a referral. Students who opt-in to U-SHIP are not required to receive a referral from UChicago Student Wellness prior to visiting a provider, and are not charged the $50 non-referral deductible.
For questions about opt-in (voluntary) enrollment, please contact the on-campus insurance coordinators at 773.834.4543 (Option 2) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who are no longer eligible for U-SHIP, (due to graduation or not returning in a U-SHIP eligible status) may enroll in Continuation Coverage for up to 3 months, provided they were enrolled in U-SHIP for 6 consecutive months before becoming ineligible. Students must enroll within 31 days of becoming ineligible and may purchase one month at a time ($376 per month). Payment is made directly to UnitedHealthcare StudentResources.
Additionally, a special 4-month U-SHIP option is available through UnitedHealthcare StudentResources for the period 9/1/20-12/31/20 due to the COVID-19 emergency. This option is available to students whose current U-SHIP coverage expires August 31, 2020. The total cost is $1,504 and must be paid upfront directly to UnitedHealthcare StudentResources. Note: This option is only available to students who are ineligible for U-SHIP Autumn Quarter.
Students who have purchased Continuation Coverage or the special U-SHIP 4-Month COVID coverage are not assessed the student services fee and thus are not eligible to visit UChicago Student Wellness for a referral. As such, these students are not required to receive a referral from UChicago Student Wellness prior to visiting a provider, and are not charged the $50 non-referral deductible.
To enroll in Continuation Coverage or the special U-SHIP 4-Month COVID option visit your MyAccount in the UnitedHealthcare StudentResources portal. If you have questions please contact the student insurance office at 773-834-4543 (press option 2) or email email@example.com.
Students who arrive on campus before the beginning of the University's Autumn Quarter may have a gap between their matriculation date and the start of the U-SHIP, which begins on September 1. For students who want/ need health insurance during the month of August, there is the OPTION of enrolling in coverage directly with UnitedHealthcare Student Resources. For more information and to enroll in early coverage, follow these steps:
- Go to www.uhcsr.com/uchicago
- Scroll down until you see the "Medical - Student Plan" box and then click EXPLORE POLICY
- Scroll down the page and then click ENROLL NOW (beneath Enrollment Documents, right-hand corner)
- Under "What insurance category best describes you?" select Early Arriving Student
- Complete the remaining steps