Announcements and COVID-19 Information
- The U-SHIP enrollment/waiver site is now open for new students for Winter Quarter as well as students returning from a temporary leave. The deadline to make your U-SHIP selection is Friday, January 21st at noon CST. Students who do not take action to enroll/waive U-SHIP by the deadline will be enrolled in U-SHIP by default for the remainder of the plan year, and the quarterly premium will be assessed on the student account. To enroll or waive U-SHIP for the remainder of the plan year (through August 31, 2022) please click here.
- Effective for the 2021-22 coverage year, which begins 9/1/21, U-SHIP enrollment is required for all PhD students at the University of Chicago. As such, PhD students are not eligible to waive U-SHIP with comparable coverage. Individual student premiums will be paid for PhD students at no cost to them.
- UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR) has issued new information on coverage related to COVID-19 as well as waiving cost-sharing for telehealth services. More information can be found on UHCSR's FAQ page.
The University requires all registered students to carry adequate health insurance to cover, among other costs, hospitalization and outpatient diagnostic, testing and surgical procedures. Additionally, the insurance must cover medical care provided in the Chicago area for both emergency and routine, non-emergency medical situations (or, if the student will not be in Chicago, it must provide this coverage wherever the student will be residing and studying during the academic year). In keeping with this requirement, each year all students registered in an insurance-required program are enrolled in the University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP). Students wishing to waive out of U-SHIP coverage must review the comparable coverage checklist and affirm possession of alternate comparable coverage before the enrollment/waiver deadline.
Students who do not enroll in or waive the student insurance plan by the deadline will by default be enrolled in U-SHIP and remain enrolled in U-SHIP through the end of the plan year, and thus will be responsible for the annual premium, which is billed quarterly.
Effective for the 2021-22 coverage year, which begins September 1, 2021, U-SHIP enrollment is required for all PhD students at the University of Chicago. As such, PhD students are not eligible to waive U-SHIP with comparable coverage. Individual student premiums will be paid for PhD students at no cost to them.
For further details on the policy, please refer to the Student Manual.
To waive U-SHIP, students must affirm that they have insurance that meets the University’s comparable coverage requirements.
The U-SHIP premium is billed on your student account in three installments, generally on the Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarterly bills. Please note, you will be automatically assessed a health insurance fee on your Bursar bill the first quarter you are registered in the academic year (see billing cycle info below); this does not mean you've enrolled/confirmed your coverage in U-SHIP. The fee will only be removed if you successfully complete a waiver. Regardless of which quarter a student enters the University, the Spring Quarter premium provides coverage from the start of Spring Quarter through August 31. Students whose first quarter of enrollment is Summer Quarter will be billed for that period’s premium on their Summer bill.
It should be noted that students on U-SHIP must obtain referrals to seek care (per condition, not per visit) outside of UChicago Student Wellness. Without a referral, an additional $50 non-referral deductible will be applied for each appointment provided outside of UChicago Student Wellness. Note: UChicago Medicine is considered an outside provider.
|Annual Premium||Summer Only|
|Spouse/ Eligible same-gender domestic partner||$4,566||$900|
|Two or more children||$9,078||$1,790|
|Spouse/ Eligible same-gender domestic partner + two or more children||$13,590||$2,680|
- If your first quarter is Autumn, you will be assessed three installments on your Bursar bill (Autumn, Winter, Spring quarters).
- If you first quarter is Winter, you will be assessed two installments on your Bursar bill (Winter and Spring).
- If your first quarter is Spring, you will be assessed one installment on your Bursar bill (Spring).
- U-SHIP coverage continues through to August 31st but students do not pay a summer premium unless summer is your FIRST and/or ONLY quarter of registration at the University.
The chart below indicates which quarters your student account will be charged, based on the first quarter you are registered:
|First Quarter Registered in the academic year||Autumn Quarter||Winter Quarter||Spring Quarter||Summer Quarter|
|Autumn||x||x||x||included in spring premium|
|Winter||x||x||included in spring premium|
|Spring||x||included in spring premium|
The University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP) is underwritten by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company and is administered by UnitedHealthcare Student Resources. More information about benefits and coverage can be found at the below links.
- 2021-2022 U-SHIP User Guide
- 2021-2022 U-SHIP Summary Brochure
- 2021-2022 U-SHIP Policy Certificate (Master Policy)
|Deductible||Amount you pay for medical costs, before U-SHIP begins to pay for covered services.||$500||$1000|
|Annual out-of-pocket maximum||Amount you pay out of pocket before U-SHIP pays 100% for covered health benefits, subject to any benefit maximums or limits that may apply. (Applicable co-pays and deductibles will be applied to out-of-pocket maximums.)||$1500||$2500|
|Co-Insurance||The percentage of covered medical expenses that you are responsible for.||10% (plan pays 90% after deductible has been met)||30% (plan pays 70% after deductible has been met)|
|Co-pay for doctor/specialist visit||Specified dollar amount you pay for certain covered medical expenses||$20 per visit; co-insurance applies||Co-insurance and deductible apply|
|Co-pay for psychotherapy with providers outside UChicago Student Wellness||Specified dollar amount you pay for psychotherapy received outside of UChicago Student Wellness. (UChicago Student Wellness referral required.)||
$10 per visit for Special Arrangements made through UChicago Wellness
$20 per visit for all others
|Co-insurance and deductible apply|
|Prescriptions paid by co-pay||Tier 1: $10; Tier 2: $25; Tier 3: $40||No Benefit|
A referral is required before seeking care or treatment from a provider outside of UChicago Student Wellness. Only one referral is needed per condition. This referral requirement applies to psychotherapy visits as well as medical/specialist visits received outside of UChicago Student Wellness. Note: providers at UChicago Medicine also require a referral.
Once you are issued a referral from UChicago Student Wellness, it will be entered in UnitedHealthcare's referral system within 24 hours and valid for the duration of your academic program at UChicago. Without a referral, services you receive off-campus will be subject to a $50 non-referral deductible visit. Exceptions: You will not be assessed the $50 deductible if you seek care more than 50 miles from the Hyde Park campus or during the occasional time when UChicago Student Wellness is closed during a holiday break.
If you're enrolled in one of the following programs, you can opt-in to U-SHIP by purchasing annual only coverage directly through UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR). For students whose first quarter of registration is Autumn Quarter, your coverage will become effective September 1, 2021, if enrollment is received by the October 15th deadline. Coverage will continue until August 31, 2022.
- Booth School evening and part-time programs
- Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice evening and post-masters certificate programs
- Social Service Administration evening and post-Masters certificate programs
- Harris School of Public Policy: Part-time Evening Master's Program
- UChicago Professional Education Master of Science in Analytics (part-time program)
- Graham School of Continuing Studies (following programs only):
- Master of Liberal Arts
- Master of Science in Threat and Response Management
- Master of Science in Biomedical Informatics
- Returning Scholars
Enrollment must occur the first quarter of registration for the year (usually Autumn Quarter) and will remain enrolled through August 31st of that plan year. Students voluntarily enrolled in the opt-in plan are not permitted to terminate U-SHIP mid year.
Please note students in these programs are not eligible to visit UChicago Student Wellness and therefore are not required to receive a referral from UChicago Student Wellness prior to seeking care off campus, and are not charged the $50 non-referral deductible.
For questions about opt-in (voluntary) enrollment, please contact the student insurance advocates at 773.834.4543 (Option 2) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who are no longer eligible for U-SHIP, (due to graduation or not returning in a U-SHIP eligible status) may enroll in Continuation Coverage for up to 3 months, provided they were enrolled in U-SHIP for 6 consecutive months before becoming ineligible. Students must enroll within 31 days of their current coverage expiring (August 31st for students enrolled in Spring Quarter U-SHIP), and may purchase one month at a time ($371 per month). Payment is made directly to UnitedHealthcare StudentResources.
Students who purchase Continuation Coverage are not eligible to visit UChicago Student Wellness. As such, these students are not required to receive a referral from UChicago Student Wellness prior to visiting a provider and are not charged the $50 non-referral deductible.
To enroll in Continuation Coverage, view My Coverage in your UnitedHealthcare MyAccount. If you have questions please contact the Student Insurance Office at 773-834-4543 (press option 2) or email email@example.com.
Students who arrive on campus before the beginning of the University's Autumn Quarter may have a gap between their matriculation date and the start of the U-SHIP, which begins on September 1. For students who want/ need health insurance during the month of August, there is the OPTION of enrolling in coverage directly with UnitedHealthcare Student Resources.
The Early Arrival open enrollment period is July 15, 2021, to August 16, 2021. To enroll in Early Arrival Coverage, visit the UnitedHealthcare University of Chicago site and select the 2021-22 Policy Year, Medical: Explore Policy, Enroll Now, and then from the dropdown select Early Arriving Student.
For questions about Early Arrival enrollment, please contact the student insurance advocates at 773.834.4543 (Option 2) or firstname.lastname@example.org