For detailed instructions regarding the immunization requirement please view the immunization webinar.
Under State of Illinois and University policy, students must submit proof of immunization for a variety of non-COVID diseases upon enrolling at the University.
(Note: For updated information on the University’s COVID vaccine requirement visit the GoForward website.)
The list of immunizations that students must comply with are based on their program of study and will be included in their list of action items in the “Medical Clearances” section of the my.WellnessPortal (applicable to most students in programs/research that convene in person).
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis
- Meningococcal (for students entering the University under the age of 22)
Medical students have additional requirements that can be found on the medical student immunization form.
Please make sure that all records are in English; translations of non-English documents must be certified. The University does not provide translation services, but advice on finding a service can be found on the Office of International Affairs website.
Deadlines for Immunization Compliance
- January 27, 2023: New students participating in any University in-person or on-campus activity that begins Winter Quarter 2023 will need to show proof of immunity or have an approved exemption by January 27, 2023.
- April 14, 2023: New students participating in any University in-person or on-campus activity that begins Spring Quarter 2023 will need to show proof of immunity or have an approved exemption by April 14, 2023.
There are a limited number of exemptions, as described below.
Remote Study Exemption
Students who will be remote for a quarter and will not come to campus at all may request a remote study exemption. This must be submitted and approved on a quarterly basis.
Students must complete and submit this form to firstname.lastname@example.org. The form will be reviewed and verified with the student’s area Dean of Students office. If approved, the exemption will be entered into the student’s my.WellnessPortal, with an exemption granted for that quarter.
Remote-only means that you will not have access to University facilities in the Chicago area.
Medical and Religious
Please refer to the Medical Clearances section of the my.WellnessPortal for further instructions. Through the portal, you can download the necessary exemption form (which are also linked below) and upload your completed form.
Exemption Forms (PDFs)
- Medical Exemption (must be uploaded to my.WellnessPortal) - used only for exemptions to non-COVID immunizations
- Religious Exemption (must be uploaded to my.WellnessPortal) - used only for exemptions to non-COVID immunizations
- Remote Study Exemption (must be completed and sent as an email attachment to email@example.com)
Students who are not in compliance with the University and State of Illinois immunization policy are subject to restrictions on course registration as outlined in the Student Manual.
To request a copy of your prior immunization records from the University of Chicago, please email UChicago Student Wellness at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vaccines Offered at UChicago Student Wellness
View the list of vaccines UChicago Student Wellness currently offers (most are offered free of charge; a few incur a small fee).
COVID-19 vaccines and booster shots are available in the U.S. from pharmacies and other local providers, and it is often easiest to schedule a booster appointment there. You can find a nearby vaccine site by visiting vaccines.gov.
UChicago Student Wellness is offering COVID-19 vaccines/boosters on campus. Availability for appointments can be searched through the my.WellnessPortal. Additional appointment availability is added regularly.