UChicago Student Wellness is committed to supporting the mental health and wellbeing of UChicago students by providing accessible, high-quality, and culturally sensitive mental health services. With this commitment in mind, the University is providing eligible students with access to TimelyCare, a leading telehealth company specializing in serving the needs of university students through its network of licensed providers.
TimelyCare is designed to complement the in-person and virtual services offered through UChicago Student Wellness. Student Wellness will continue to offer our full suite of virtual and on-campus services, such as individual and group psychotherapy, psychiatric evaluation and treatment, Let’s Talk, Academic Skills Assessment Program, specialty evaluations, outreach to the campus community, support spaces, our 24/7 Therapist-on-Call, and more. By offering TimelyCare as an additional option for our students, we are able to increase access to care, while lowering barriers to seeking help.
TimelyCare offers on-demand and scheduled services to enhance students’ access to additional mental health support. Starting March 15, students who are eligible for the services offered by UChicago Student Wellness can receive free virtual mental health care through TimelyCare.
- Scheduled counseling: Virtual individual counseling sessions with a licensed mental health provider. Each student can receive 12 free individual sessions per year, between September 1-August 31. From March 15-August 31 of this year, students will have access to six free sessions of individual counseling, and this limit will reset to 12 sessions on September 1.
- TalkNow on-demand service: TalkNow allows students to connect with a mental health professional any time of day, either by phone or video. Students can use TalkNow to discuss any concern, whether it be conflict with roommates, academic pressures, or serious mental health crises. The staff are trained to work with any level of concern and are available to assist 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Psychiatric Care: Students can access psychiatric visits through a referral from Student Wellness or a TimelyCare clinician, if deemed clinically appropriate. The TimelyCare treatment team will assess the frequency and number of sessions in a year, and they are happy to discuss a tailored treatment plan.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is TimelyCare?
TimelyCare is a mental health support service created by TimelyMD, a leading telehealth company specializing in higher education. The University of Chicago is making TimelyCare’s virtual mental health services available at no cost to students. TimelyCare’s licensed providers help students address common conditions that can be safely diagnosed and treated remotely.
Why did the University decide to make TimelyCare available to students?
TimelyCare offers on-demand and scheduled services to enhance students’ access to additional mental health support and gives students a greater variety of options, with ease of scheduling the time and modality that best fits their needs. TimelyCare is not a replacement for Student Wellness, which will continue to offer our full suite of virtual and on-campus services.
Who can use TimelyCare?
Students who are eligible for UChicago Student Wellness’ covered services are eligible for TimelyCare. For questions about eligibility, see our eligibility page.
How do I know if I should use TimelyCare or UChicago Student Wellness?
Students can choose the option that best fits their needs. UChicago Student Wellness will continue to offer our full suite of mental health services, including individual counseling, psychiatry, Let’s Talk, and our 24/7 Therapist-on-Call. Services such as group therapy, support spaces, and the Academic Skills Assessment Program are only available through UChicago Student Wellness.
Students can first reach out to either TimelyCare or Student Wellness, and may be referred from TimelyCare to Student Wellness, or vice versa, depending on their needs. Using TimelyCare does not preclude a student from using Student Wellness, and TimelyCare’s session limits do not apply to services at Student Wellness.
TalkNow and the Therapist-on-Call provide similar services, although TalkNow offers both video and phone capability. If you are in a crisis and haven’t downloaded the TalkNow app, we encourage you to call the Therapist-on-Call at 773.702.3625.
At this time, TimelyCare does not provide primary (non-mental health) medical care for UChicago students. Learn more about medical services available through UChicago Student Wellness.
Who should students contact if they are having a mental health emergency?
If a situation seems life-threatening, students should go to their nearest emergency room or call 911. For those on campus, University of Chicago Medicine’s Emergency Department is located at 5656 South Maryland Avenue and can be reached by calling 773.702.6250.
What services are available through TimelyCare?
With TimelyCare, students have access to:
- Scheduled counseling: Virtual individual counseling sessions with a licensed mental health provider. Each student can receive 12 free individual sessions per year (September 1-August 31).
- TalkNow on-demand service: TalkNow allows students to connect with a mental health professional any time of day, either by phone or video. Students can use TalkNow to discuss any concern, whether it be conflict with roommates, academic pressures, or mental health crises. The staff are trained to work with any level of concern and available to assist 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Psychiatric care: Students can access psychiatric visits through a referral from Student Wellness or a TimelyCare clinician, if deemed clinically appropriate. The TimelyCare treatment team will assess the frequency and number of sessions in a year, and they are happy to discuss a tailored treatment plan.
How many sessions can I receive?
- Scheduled counseling: Since the UChicago-TimelyCare launch occurred mid-way through the 2021-22 academic year (in March 2022), students will have access to six sessions between March 15, 2022 – August 31, 2022. Going forward, the 12-session limit will reset each September 1 and will apply for the period of September 1 through August 31 of the following year.
- TalkNow: There are no session limits for the TalkNow service – students can call as many times as needed for concerns of any nature.
- Psychiatry: Access to psychiatric services will be determined by clinicians at UChicago Student Wellness or at TimelyCare, based on a student’s clinical needs. If, when working with a student, a clinician or care team member determines that psychiatric care is appropriate, they will provide access to those appointments. The number and frequency of sessions will be determined by the care team in consultation with the student.
Using TimelyCare does not preclude a student from using UChicago Student Wellness, and TimelyCare’s session limits do not apply to services at Student Wellness.
What can I be treated for?
TimelyCare can address a wide range of common conditions. Some common issues include stress and anxiety, relationships, depression, nutrition, and healthy lifestyle.
What hours are services available?
Scheduled counseling and psychiatry appointments are available days, evenings, and weekends. Students can choose appointment times that are convenient for them. TalkNow services are available 24/7.
How do I log in?
- Download the TimelyCare app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Register using your UChicago email address and complete your account profile.
- Press "Get Care" to get started.
- Visit timelycare.com/uchicago.
- Click "Sign In" at the top right of the page.
- Register using your UChicago email address and complete your account profile.
- Press "Get Care" to get started.
Can I access telehealth services outside of the United States?
Due to healthcare provider licensing laws, TalkNow is the only service available outside of the United States. In order to use this service, students must download the TimelyCare app in the U.S. prior to any travel. Students also must use a U.S. phone number or VPN while abroad to access TalkNow services.
Whom do I contact for technical or scheduling support with TimelyCare services?
Please contact TimelyCare’s customer service team at 833-4-TIMELY (84-6359) or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help scheduling a visit, want to share a concern, or have any other issues or questions.
Can I access TimelyCare if I am under 18?
Yes, but you will need a parent or guardian present. If you are under the age of 18, please call the TimelyCare customer support team with your parent and guardian present at 833-484-6359.
How much does a visit cost?
There is no cost for eligible UChicago students to use TimelyCare services. For students who are ineligible, there is currently not an option to pay for the use of TimelyCare. Students who are not eligible to use TimelyCare are advised to check with their insurance company as many insurance companies offer low-cost virtual options.
Do I need to be on the University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP) to access TimelyCare?
No. All services through TimelyCare are free of charge to eligible UChicago students. Students who are eligible for UChicago Student Wellness’ covered services are eligible for TimelyCare. For questions about eligibility, see our eligibility page.
Will I need to provide insurance information?
No, insurance information is not needed to access services through TimelyCare.
Can TimelyCare providers prescribe medications?
TimelyCare’s psychiatric providers are licensed and able to prescribe certain medications as part of your care plan, if clinically appropriate. TimelyCare providers do not provide prescriptions for controlled substances, lifestyle medications, or other potentially high-risk drugs.
TimelyCare is not an online pharmacy, and cannot fill prescriptions. If a prescription medication is part of your treatment plan, it will be sent to the pharmacy of your choice. You are responsible for the cost of any prescriptions, over-the-counter treatments, or follow-up visits you may need related to prescriptions. TimelyCare counselors cannot write prescriptions.
How do I see more information about the TimelyCare providers?
Information about providers is available after a student has registered for the service and is presented at the time of scheduling a counseling visit.
Can I select the provider for my scheduled telehealth counseling visits?
Yes, students have the option of selecting a provider and time of visit. Provider profiles are available in the app.
What if I need more than 12 sessions with a provider?
Students can discuss their needs with their provider and develop a plan for ongoing care, which may include a referral to an alternative provider outside the TimelyCare service, or on campus through UChicago Student Wellness.
What is the cancellation policy for scheduled counseling sessions?
For all appointment-based visits, students may cancel up to 24 hours prior to the time of the visit. Within 24 hours of the visit time, it will be considered a no-show and the cancelled visit will count toward a student’s session limit.
Will anyone at the University know if I have used TimelyCare?
If you are a TimelyCare patient, your visit records will be saved as part of your TimelyCare medical record. As part of your agreement to the Terms of Service when you register your TimelyCare account, you agree that a record of each visit with TimelyCare will be shared with UChicago Student Wellness for purposes of continuity of care. You may opt-out of your information being shared with UChicago Student Wellness by contacting TimelyCare directly. If you want to share your records with anyone outside of TimelyCare, you can print or email your records, or call 833-4-TIMELY to have a copy of your records sent to another provider. Please visit the TimelyCare website for more information on their Terms of Service and privacy practices.