The Academic Skills and Assessment Program (ASAP) is designed to help students improve their academic performance by addressing a number of concerns that can interfere with effective learning. ASAP targets a wide range of issues including:
- Time management
- Learning and Memory
- Test anxiety
- Reading effectiveness
- Effective exam preparation
- General study skills
Beyond The Grind: Redefining The College Experience
Student Wellness will be offering a four-session program that integrates academic skills and mental health strategies. Participants will have an opportunity to work with their peers and learn skills that improve both academic performance and psychological health.
The sessions will offer evidence-based and practical strategies to effectively manage and thrive in a challenging and rigorous academic environment. Participants will learn psychological skills known to improve emotional regulation, attention, and goal completion.
Topics covered will include:
- How to cope with “grind culture”
- Time management essentials
- Managing unhealthy expectations and demands
- Overcoming procrastination
- Mindfulness for better focus and concentration
- Strategies to improve learning
- Developing a motivating vision
If you are interested in participating in this program, please complete this form to indicate your interest and provide your availability. You will receive a follow-up email with an invitation to join the next upcoming series.
Please note that spots are limited and will be offered on an ongoing basis.
The staff at UChicago Student Wellness have developed and compiled a number of self-help resources relevant for academic success in a university setting. Please note that the links provided are intended as an educational aid to further your understanding of topics that can impact academic performance but should not be viewed as a substitute for assistance from a qualified mental health professional.
- Hints for Becoming a Successful Student
- Overcoming Procrastination
- Quarter Review
- Task Priority List
- Hitting the Ground Running
- 25 Tips for Time Management
- Weekly Overview
Memory and Concentration
Recorded ASAP Workshops
- Mastering the Art of Time Management (42 minutes)
- Effective Strategies for Successful Studying (50 minutes)
Improving Academic Performance
- Interactive Online Workshops on Academic Skills- University of Minnesota
- Test Anxiety (video, 37 mins) – Utah State University
- Math Anxiety (video, 50 mins) – Utah State University
- Perfectionism (video, 53 mins) – Utah State University
- Practical Tips for Increasing Productivity (video) – AsapSCIENCE
- Smart Goal Setting (video) - UNCCH Learning Center
- Procrastination (video) – UNCCH Learning Center
- Tips to Improve Memory (video) – UNCCH Learning Center
- How to Use the Cornell Notetaking Method (video, 4 minutes) – Cornell University
- Developing a Productivity System for Beginners (video, 5 minutes) – The Art of Improvement
- A Complete Guide to Goal Setting (video, 6 minutes) – The Art of Improvement
- 7 Strategies for Supercharging Productivity (video, 6 minutes) – The Art of Improvement
- How to Schedule Your Day for Optimal Productivity (video, 4 minutes) – The Art of Improvement
- The Key to Test-Taking (video, 4 minutes) – Cornell University
- How to Read Effectively (video, 7 minutes) – Cornell University
- How to Take Good Notes (video, 5 minutes) – Cornell University
Dealing with Stress
- How to Make Stress Your Friend (video) – Kelly McGonigal, PhD
- How to Reduce, Prevent, and Cope with Stress – Helpguide.org
- Stress and Anxiety – from Learn Psychology
- The Power of Self-Compassion (video) – Selfcompassion.org
Mindfulness and Relaxation
Building the Academic Toolkit: Skills and Strategies for Success
- Mondays, 2-3:30 p.m.
- This group will meet in-person at the Student Wellness Center (840 E. 59th St.).
- For more information or to sign up for a session, please contact Tab Shamsi, PsyD.
This skills-focused drop-in group is designed to equip students with the essential tools to conquer the challenges of higher education. We will explore a combination of learning techniques and behavioral strategies for optimal learning, productivity, and personal growth. We will also incorporate the relevant elements of mental health that are associated with these issues. Whether you are new to university life or seeking to refine your skills, this group will provide a fresh perspective on familiar challenges.
Week 1: Time Management (10/2)
Week 2: Procrastination (10/9)
Week 3: Attention and Focus (10/16)
Week 4: Reading and Writing (10/23)
Week 5: Time Management (10/30)
Week 6: Test Anxiety and Test Taking (11/6)
Week 7: Procrastination (11/13)
Week 8: Attention and Focus (11/20)
For more information or to sign up for a session, please contact Tab Shamsi, PsyD.
Some students may benefit from one-on-one appointments to identify specific strategies they can use to meet their academic goals. During the initial individual appointment, you will have an opportunity to discuss your concerns with an ASAP counselor and determine personalized strategies.
To get started, make an ASAP initial appointment by contacting Dr. Tab Shamsi at email@example.com.
We can also provide presentations and workshops related to academic performance on topics such as: procrastination, stress management, effective study strategies, and time management. While we will make every effort to meet requests for programming, please note that our resources may be limited during certain periods during the academic year. To ensure that we are able to accommodate your request, please allow at least three to four weeks’ notice so that we can adequately make arrangements for your event.
To request a workshop or presentation, please review the workshop menu to see what we have offered previously and fill out the request form below. A UChicago Student Wellness staff member will review the details and be in contact with the interested party to discuss further.