Announcements and COVID-19 Information
- The U-SHIP enrollment/waiver site for Summer Quarter is now open. New eligible students for Summer, as well as eligible students returning Summer Quarter from a temporary absence, are required to enroll/waive the University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP) for the remainder of the 2022-23 policy year (which ends 8/31/23). To enroll-in or waive U-SHIP click here. Students who do not take action by the June 30, 2023 deadline will be enrolled in U-SHIP by default for the remainder of the policy year, and the quarterly U-SHIP premium will remain on the student account.
- New and returning students for Autumn Quarter 2023 will be able to make their student insurance enrollment/waiver selection starting the first week of August. Please check back on this site at that time.
- Effective 9/1/21, U-SHIP enrollment is required for all PhD students at the University of Chicago. As such, PhD students are not eligible to waive U-SHIP with comparable coverage. Individual student premiums will be paid for PhD students at no cost to them.
- U-SHIP Eligibility: The University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP) generally is available to all registered students enrolled in programs that convene in the Hyde Park Campus and their eligible dependents. Students in certain designated programs may not be eligible for coverage under U-SHIP. For additional information on specific University programs of study that are ineligible for insurance coverage under U-SHIP, students should contact their area Dean of Students Office or the Registrar. Students in certain programs may be eligible to opt-in to U-SHIP (see more information about the opt-in plan below).
The University requires all registered students to carry adequate health insurance to cover, among other costs, hospitalization and outpatient diagnostic, testing and surgical procedures. Additionally, the insurance must cover medical care provided in the Chicago area for both emergency and routine, non-emergency medical situations (or, if the student will not be in Chicago, it must provide this coverage wherever the student will be residing and studying during the academic year). In keeping with this requirement, each year all students registered in an insurance-required program are enrolled in the University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP). Students wishing to waive out of U-SHIP coverage must review the comparable coverage checklist and affirm possession of alternate comparable coverage before the enrollment/waiver deadline.
Students who do not enroll in or waive the student insurance plan by the deadline will by default be enrolled in U-SHIP and remain enrolled in U-SHIP through the end of the plan year, and thus will be responsible for the annual premium, which is billed quarterly.
Effective 9/1/21, U-SHIP enrollment is required for all PhD students at the University of Chicago. As such, PhD students are not eligible to waive U-SHIP with comparable coverage. Individual student premiums will be paid for PhD students at no cost to them.
For further details on the policy, please refer to the Student Manual.
To waive U-SHIP, students must affirm that they have insurance that meets the University’s comparable coverage requirements.
The U-SHIP premium is billed on your student account in three installments, generally on the Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarterly bills. Please note, you will be automatically assessed a health insurance fee on your Bursar bill the first quarter you are registered in the academic year (see billing cycle info below); this does not mean you've enrolled/confirmed your coverage in U-SHIP. The fee will only be removed if you successfully complete a waiver. Regardless of which quarter a student enters the University, the Spring Quarter premium provides coverage from the start of Spring Quarter through August 31. Students whose first quarter of enrollment is Summer Quarter will be billed for that period’s premium on their Summer bill.
|Annual Premium||Summer Only|
|Spouse/ Eligible same-gender domestic partner||$4,800||$1,050|
|Two or more children||$9,549||$2,090|
|Spouse/ Eligible same-gender domestic partner + two or more children||$14,295||$3,130|
- If your first quarter is Autumn, you will be assessed three installments on your Bursar bill (Autumn, Winter, Spring quarters).
- If you first quarter is Winter, you will be assessed two installments on your Bursar bill (Winter and Spring).
- If your first quarter is Spring, you will be assessed one installment on your Bursar bill (Spring).
- U-SHIP coverage continues through to August 31st but students do not pay a summer premium unless summer is your FIRST and/or ONLY quarter of registration at the University.
The chart below indicates which quarters your student account will be charged, based on the first quarter you are registered:
|First Quarter Registered in the academic year||Autumn Quarter||Winter Quarter||Spring Quarter||Summer Quarter|
|Autumn||x||x||x||included in spring premium|
|Winter||x||x||included in spring premium|
|Spring||x||included in spring premium|
The University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP) is underwritten by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company and is administered by UnitedHealthcare Student Resources. More information about benefits and coverage can be found at the below links.
- 2022-2023 U-SHIP User Guide
- 2022-2023 U-SHIP Summary Brochure
- 2022-2023 U-SHIP Policy Certificate (Master Policy)
|Deductible||Amount you pay for medical costs, before U-SHIP begins to pay for covered services.||$500||$1000|
|Annual out-of-pocket maximum||Amount you pay out of pocket before U-SHIP pays 100% for covered health benefits, subject to any benefit maximums or limits that may apply. (Applicable co-pays and deductibles will be applied to out-of-pocket maximums.)||$1500||$2500|
|Co-Insurance||The percentage of covered medical expenses that you are responsible for.||10% (plan pays 90% after deductible has been met)||30% (plan pays 70% of usual and customary after deductible has been met)|
|Co-pay for doctor/specialist visit||Specified dollar amount you pay for certain covered medical expenses||$20 per visit + 10% co-insurance of claimed amount||Co-insurance and deductible apply|
|Co-pay for psychotherapy with providers outside UChicago Student Wellness||Specified dollar amount you pay for psychotherapy received outside of UChicago Student Wellness.||
$10 per visit for providers on the UChicago Student Wellness community provider list. (Contact Student Wellness for more information.)
$20 per visit + 10% co-insurance of claimed amount - for all others
|Co-insurance and deductible apply|
|Prescriptions paid by co-pay||Tier 1: $10; Tier 2: $25; Tier 3: $40||No Benefit|
Due to a recent Illinois Department of Insurance mandate eliminating referral requirements for insurance plans like U-SHIP that are considered “Preferred Provider Organizations” (PPOs), effective September 1, 2022:
- U-SHIP enrollees will no longer be required to obtain a referral from UChicago Student Wellness for medical or psychotherapy services outside of Student Wellness, and the $50 per visit non-referral deductible will be eliminated.
- Eligible students are encouraged to continue to visit Student Wellness for primary care, psychiatry, health promotion, or short-term psychotherapy, and for recommendations on specialty care. Accessing Student Wellness is a great option for students who need timely access to high-quality care at no additional cost. For the list of services provided by Student Wellness visit: https://wellness.uchicago.edu/about/services
- U-SHIP enrollees remain eligible for the special $10/visit copay (coinsurance and deductible do not apply) for psychotherapy with providers on the Student Wellness Community Provider list. Contact Student Wellness for more information.
If you're enrolled in one of the following programs, you can opt-in to U-SHIP by purchasing annual only coverage directly through UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR). For students whose first quarter of registration is Autumn Quarter, your coverage will become effective September 1, 2022, if enrollment is received by the October 14th deadline. Coverage will continue until August 31, 2023.
- Booth School evening and part-time programs
- Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice evening and post-masters certificate programs
- Harris School of Public Policy: Part-time Evening Master's Program
- UChicago Professional Education Master of Science in Analytics (part-time program)
- Graham School of Continuing Studies (following programs only):
- Master of Science in Threat and Response Management
- Master of Science in Biomedical Informatics
- Returning Scholars
- Students studying at one of the following Hyde Park seminaries:
- Catholic Theological Union at Chicago
- Chicago Theological Seminary
- McCormick Theological Seminary
- Meadville-Lombard Theological Seminary
Enrollment must occur the first quarter of registration for the year (usually Autumn Quarter) and students will remain enrolled through August 31st of that plan year. Students voluntarily enrolled in the opt-in plan are not permitted to terminate U-SHIP mid year.
Please note students in these programs are not eligible to visit UChicago Student Wellness.
For questions about opt-in (voluntary) enrollment, please contact the student insurance advocates at 773.834.4543 (Option 2) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who are no longer eligible for U-SHIP, (due to graduation or not returning in a U-SHIP eligible status) may enroll in Continuation Coverage for up to 3 months, provided they were enrolled in U-SHIP for 6 consecutive months before becoming ineligible. Students must enroll within 31 days of their current coverage expiring (August 31st for students enrolled in Spring Quarter U-SHIP), and may purchase one month at a time ($391 per month). Payment is made directly to UnitedHealthcare StudentResources.
Students who purchase Continuation Coverage are not eligible to visit UChicago Student Wellness.
To enroll in Continuation Coverage, view My Coverage in your UnitedHealthcare MyAccount. If you have questions please contact the Student Insurance Office at 773-834-4543 (press option 2) or email email@example.com.
Students who arrive on campus before the beginning of the University's Autumn Quarter may have a gap between their matriculation date and the start of the U-SHIP, which begins on September 1. For students who want/ need health insurance during the month of August, there is the OPTION of enrolling in coverage directly with UnitedHealthcare Student Resources.
For new students arriving for Autumn Quarter 2023, the early arrival coverage enrollment site will open on July 17th. Coverage takes effect August 1st. Please check back on this page at that time.
For questions about Early Arrival enrollment, please contact the student insurance advocates at 773.834.4543 (Option 2) or firstname.lastname@example.org
All students who are enrolled in U-SHIP have access to the UnitedHealthcare Student Resources (UHCSR) My Account, where they can view their benefits, manage their claims and balances, view their ID card, and more.
Students can activate and log into their account by following this link: https://myaccount.uhcsr.com. If it is the student's first time logging into their My Account, they will need to select the option "Create Account".
To learn more about the UHCSR My Account, view this My Account Overview video:
For step by step instruction on how to set up their account, watch this instructional video: