Your alternate insurance plan must meet all of the following criteria for you to waive U-SHIP enrollment. Your waiver application will be denied if your plan does not provide all of the following.
Non-emergency as well as emergency care provided in the Chicago area
- If you will be studying abroad, routine and emergency care—and all coverage requirements noted here—must be provided in the local area where you will be studying/residing
- Treatment for pre-existing conditions (with no waiting periods or exclusions)
- Essential health benefits as defined by the Affordable Care Act (ACA) (see details below)
- Plan has a claims administrator based in the U.S., a U.S. telephone number and address for submission of claims, and the insurance policy must have been issued in the U.S.
Coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation expenses
- Required for all F1 / J1 students
- Required for all other students ONLY when they will be studying / traveling / doing research outside of the United States during the current academic year
- Active coverage from the day students arrives on campus through August 31, 2017 or the end of their academic program (whichever comes first)
- Must have an annual out-of-pocket maximum limits of < $6,850 for individual insurance plans or < $13,700 for family insurance plans.
The 2016–2017 Comparable Coverage Checklist will help you determine if your insurance plan's benefits meet the University's waiver requirements.
Essential Health Benefits, as defined by the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
In addition to the criteria noted above, all alternate insurance plans must include the following benefits as required by ACA:
- Outpatient care (ambulatory patient services)
- Emergency services
- Hospitalization (treatment for inpatient care)
- Mental health services and addiction treatment
- Prescription drugs
- Maternity and newborn care
- Rehabilitative services and devices
- Laboratory services
- Inpatient mental health care
- Preventive services, wellness services, and chronic disease treatment
- Pediatric services