January 14, 2021
Regardless of your location – whether you are in Chicago, across the U.S., or around the world – UChicago Student Wellness is here to support you with a variety of services. Below is an update on our telehealth/teletherapy services given the changing regulatory landscape across the U.S., and the options for care that are available to you.
Medical and mental health clinicians are licensed by individual states and therefore are subject to the licensure laws in those states. Typically, a clinician must be licensed in a state in order to provide care to a person physically located in that state at the time of service, regardless of the state where that patient normally resides.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic started, many states provided temporary, emergency authorization to allow clinicians to provide virtual care to patients physically located outside the state where the clinician is licensed. UChicago Student Wellness has been hopeful that there would be permanent changes in federal and state legislation to continue this practice. However, given the current regulatory landscape, at this time we are limited in the care we can provide to students who are physically located outside of Illinois.
Regardless of your location, we would like to assist you in any way possible – either by providing care directly, when possible, or offering guidance on seeking services in your local area. If you are not sure where to turn, please feel free to contact us at 773-834-WELL so we may assist you.
The following services remain available to students regardless of location:
- 24/7 Therapist-on-Call for mental health support. Call 773-702-3625.
- 24/7 Nurse Advice Line. Call 773-834-WELL.
- Care management consultation and help with treatment planning
- Referral assistance to find care in a student’s local community
- All programs offered through UChicago Student Wellness, including Wellness Coaching, mindfulness meditations, Refresh Sleep, and mental health workshops
- “Let’s Talk” – virtual, anonymous, drop-in counseling sessions
View our one-page options for care guide.
Eligible students residing in Illinois during the 2020-21 academic year continue to have access to the full suite of telehealth services, even if they may not be coming to campus.
Nationwide telehealth option:
- For students on U-SHIP, HealthiestYou is a free 24/7 telehealth service provided by UnitedHealthcare StudentResources that will link you with a doctor who is licensed in your state. Students not on U-SHIP may use the service for a small fee, but should consult their insurance company, as many insurers offer a low- or no-cost telehealth option.
Referral sources for mental health services for students living outside the U.S.: