The Body Positive 6-week program is a new initiative that will be implemented Winter Quarter 2019. This curriculum is taught by Health Promotion and Wellness staff member Katrina Wagner, who has been trained as a facilitator from the Body Positive organization. Students who are interested in a deeper learning and self-reflection of their own body image and body positivity are encouraged to participate. This is not a therapy group and if you think you may have an eating disorder, we recommend requesting an Eating Concerns Assessment at SCS by calling 773.702.9800 or by discussing it with your individual therapist if you are already being seen at SCS.
To participate in the program, please complete this form before the end of week 1, Winter quarter.
Body Positive UChicago…
- Welcomes all bodies and identities
- Cultivates body appreciation and calming the inner critic
- Embraces the body diversity of our campus community
- Challenges discrimination based on size and/or appearance
- Provides spaces for open discussion about body image, eating concerns, and eating disorders
- Encourages the spread of body positivity throughout the campus, and creates an environment where open, accepting conversations around body image and weight concerns are the social norm
- Links students to existing campus resources on body image, eating concerns and eating disorders
Be Body Positive Model
The Be Body Positive model provides people of all ages, sizes, sexual orientations, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and socioeconomic levels with a whole-person, non-shaming approach to the mystery and miracle of living in a human body. The model is composed of five core competencies:
- Reclaiming health
- Practicing intuitive self-care
- Cultivating self-love
- Declaring your own authentic beauty
- Building community
Learn more about the Body Positive, a nationally recognized program!
Body Positive Approach
This graph depicts how our Body Positive approach to prevention can help students and which service may be appropriate for them, based on level of care.