UChicago Student Wellness is available to students during Spring Quarter. We urge students to attend to their physical and mental wellbeing and to reach out to us for support.
Maintaining the health and safety of our students and the staff who provide your physical and mental healthcare is a critical priority for us, especially during these challenging times. We are following the guidance of UChicago Medicine as well as local, state, and federal public health officials as we assess how we continue to deliver care.
UChicago Student Wellness has shifted primarily to virtual operations, and has expanded options for telehealth and teletherapy. Read more about our services in the sections below.
- Counseling and Psychiatry
- 773.702.9800 (for general inquiries or to make an appointment)
- 773.702.3625 (to reach a clinician by phone)
- How to Access Counseling and Psychiatry During Spring Quarter (infographic)
- Health Promotion
- Reach out to our Health Promotion Staff
- For appointments or medical advice, including questions about COVID-19, call 773.834.WELL. The medical suite is open 8 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday.
- Our clinic coordinators can help you schedule a telehealth appointment with one of our clinicians. If you have any symptoms of an upper respiratory illness, be sure to indicate this when you call.
- In order to practice social distancing and minimize the chance of exposure to staff and students, we are not accepting walk-in visits at this time.
- If it is determined that your situation warrants an in-person visit, we will advise you on your options.
- As always, students needing immediate treatment of very serious or critical conditions should contact 911 or go to the nearest emergency room (the University of Chicago Medicine’s Emergency Department is located at 5656 South Maryland Avenue).
After-Hours Medical Options
- After the medical suite is closed, you can reach the Nurse Advice Line at 773.834.WELL to speak with an experienced registered nurse.
- In addition to the telephonic/virtual care that our clinicians are currently providing during business hours, students on U-SHIP may reach a doctor via the HealthiestYou telehealth option offered through UnitedHealthcare by visiting telehealth4students.com or calling 855-866-0895.
- Students not on U-SHIP should contact their insurance provider, as many insurance companies offer low- or no-cost telehealth options. Students not on U-SHIP may also use the HealthiestYou service listed above for a $40 fee.
Medical Care: Off Campus
- If you have already established a relationship with a local provider, please consult with that provider.
- Students on U-SHIP may contact the UnitedHealthcare StudentResources on-campus insurance coordinators at 773.834.4543 (press option 2) to receive help in finding local providers that are in-network.
- If you are not on U-SHIP, please contact your insurance company to locate an in-network provider in your community.
Counseling and Psychiatry Services
- For general inquiries or to make an appointment, call 773.702.9800. The counseling and psychiatry office is open 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday.
- Counseling and Psychiatry services remain available by phone for initial appointments, ongoing counseling and check-ins, urgent consultations, and psychiatry.
- No matter where you are, students can reach a trained mental health clinician-on-call, 24/7, at 773.702.3625.
- Single-session weekly workshops are designed to help you cope and stay resilient throughout the Spring Quarter. Visit the Weekly Workshops page to learn more.
- An FAQ about counseling and psychiatry services during Spring Quarter is available online.
Counseling and Psychiatry Services: Off Campus
- If you have already established a relationship with a local provider, please consult with that provider about their recommended treatment plan.
- If you have not yet established a relationship with a provider but are interested in seeing one, you may contact UChicago Student Wellness at 773.702.9800 to receive help in finding a clinician in your community.
- Students who are on U-SHIP and are more than 50 miles from campus have access to any providers who are in network with United Behavioral Health. A slightly higher copay will apply. If you’d like to learn more about these benefits, please contact our UnitedHealthcare StudentResources on-campus insurance coordinators at 773.834.4543 (press option 2).
Health Promotion is offering a number of programs virtually during Spring Quarter, including mindfulness, wellness coaching, and others. For more details, visit the Spring Quarter 2020 Virtual Programming page or see our events calendar.
For Students on U-SHIP
UnitedHealthcare StudentResources has issued new information on coverage related to COVID-19. To read the latest, click here.
Disability-Related Academic Accommodations
Student Disability Services staff are working remotely, but remain available to support you. Students wishing to discuss disability-related academic accommodations should contact Student Disability Services at 773-702-6000 or disabilities.uchicago.edu.
- How to Access Medical Services During Spring Quarter (infographic)
- How to Access Counseling and Psychiatry Services During Spring Quarter (infographic)
- Information about Your Options for Care
- FAQ about Counseling and Psychiatry
- Videos: UChicago Student Wellness Staff Discuss Options for Virtual Care
- Resources from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Do I Need to Self-Isolate for COVID-19? (chart to help you adjust your behavior based on who you have had contact with)
- Self-Isolation Information (for students living on campus)
- Self-Isolation Information (for students living off campus)