To prepare for COVID-19 cases that may emerge this Autumn Quarter, the University is implementing a test, trace, isolate, and treat strategy, which is detailed here. These University-wide plans have been developed in close consultation with infectious disease specialists at UChicago Medicine and in accordance with federal, state, and local guidelines for higher education.
UChicago Student Wellness—in collaboration with UChicago Medicine—is available to support students with COVID-19 testing, consultation, and follow-up care, as necessary.
- If a student experiences symptoms of COVID-19 or believes that they have been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19, they can be tested at no cost. Information about the Symptomatic Testing Program, and follow-up care regardless of where the testing was performed, is included below.
- All residents living in the University residence halls and athletes will be required to participate in the Mandatory Surveillance Testing Program for COVID-19, paid for by the University, that will begin with their move-in and will continue during the time in residence with weekly, mandatory testing. To learn more about this program, click here.
- Students, instructors, researchers, and staff who will be on campus during Autumn Quarter can request to be a part of a Voluntary Surveillance Testing Program, where volunteers are tested frequently throughout the year in order to track asymptomatic infections on campus. To learn more about this program, click here.
- VIDEO: Nurse Navigator Andrea Magana describes what to expect as part of the Mandatory Surveillance Testing Program
- VIDEO: Staff Psychologist Emily Knotek provides tips for students to support their mental wellbeing during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Guidance for On-Campus Students Who Test Positive for COVID-19 (PDF)
- Guidance for Off-Campus Students Who Test Positive for COVID-19 (PDF)
- Information for Students Who Are Quarantined Due to Exposure to COVID-19 (PDF)
- Guidance for Roommates, Caregivers, and Partners of Individuals with COVID-19 (PDF)
- Health and Wellness Resources for On-Campus Students (PDF)
Symptomatic Testing Program and Follow-Up Care
Testing is available to anyone who has symptoms of COVID-19-like illness, including the symptoms below. Testing may also be available for those who have had direct contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Students with these symptoms, who have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, or who otherwise would like consultation about testing should call UChicago Student Wellness at 773-834-WELL. If appropriate, our staff will schedule you for testing at the University of Chicago Medicine curbside testing clinic.
Curbside testing is not available without an appointment. Drive-up/walk-up swab collection visits typically take several minutes to complete. You will receive information on how to self-isolate and monitor for symptoms after your visit and will get follow-up phone calls with your test results in 1-2 days.
- Key Resource: Students being tested for COVID-19 will receive this informational packet (“You Have an Appointment for COVID-19 Testing: What to Know to Protect Yourself and Others”)
If you are unable to come to the Hyde Park campus to be tested at UChicago Medicine, we encourage you to visit the Illinois Department of Public Health website for a list of testing locations in Illinois (scroll down to the interactive map on that webpage).
If you are in the U.S, but not in Illinois, we encourage you to check with your local or state department of public health. If you are outside the U.S., please consult with your local healthcare provider.
Before visiting an off-campus site, we encourage you to ask the testing site or your insurance company about whether there will be out-of-pocket costs associated with the test or associated visit/consultation.
Students who test positive for COVID-19 can receive follow-up care and guidance from clinicians at UChicago Student Wellness. If your test was ordered by a clinician at UChicago Student Wellness, our clinic will contact you with your test results. However, regardless of where the test was conducted, students are encouraged to contact UChicago Student Wellness for care and support.
We understand that students may be interested in determining whether they have developed antibodies for COVID-19. It’s important to know the clinical value of this test has not been demonstrated. As a result, UChicago Medicine is not currently recommending routine evaluation of patients with serology tests, because the implications of a positive test and the longevity of any possible immunity is uncertain at this time.
Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 and has been in a University owned or operated facility must contact C19HealthReport@uchicago.edu so that the health and safety of others in our facilities can be addressed. It is important to report your case, regardless of whether or not the test was conducted on campus.
Physician/practitioner visits and most routine laboratory testing provided by UChicago Student Wellness are covered by the Student Services Fee. Students screened by UChicago Student Wellness will be sent to the UChicago Medicine COVID-19 curbside testing site.
With the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, the federal government has eliminated patient cost sharing for certain COVID-19 testing-related services, including the associated physician visit, E-visit, or emergency department services, until the end of the public health emergency. This means that you will not receive a bill from UChicago Medicine or pay anything out of pocket when these services are provided. This does NOT mean that insurance companies would not be responsible for paying whatever is covered under your policy. Therefore, we still require you to provide your insurance information when receiving COVID-19 testing-related services.
YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A BILL OR BE EXPECTED TO PAY OUT OF POCKET FOR ANY COVID-19 TESTING-RELATED SERVICES FOR WHICH COST SHARING IS WAIVED.
We recommend that if you have been tested for COVID-19 and have questions regarding your specific benefits, contact your insurance company to get an explanation of your coverage. If you were tested at UChicago Medicine and have received a bill related to COVID-19 testing and you have questions, please call 844-843-3594 (option 2).
All members of the campus community are expected to adhere to the public health protocols outlined at goforward.uchicago.edu.
UChicago Student Wellness remains committed to providing you with the care and support you need. Especially during this period of remote learning and throughout the resumption of campus operations, we’re here for you.