UChicago Student Wellness remains available to students and will continue to deliver care virtually or in person, as described below.
Maintaining the health and safety of our students and the staff who provide your physical and mental healthcare is a priority for us. As such, to minimize the potential spread of infection, UChicago Student Wellness has shifted primarily to virtual operations, and has expanded options for telehealth and teletherapy. Read more about our services in the sections below.
- Mental Health
- 773.834.WELL (for general inquiries or to make an appointment)
- 773.702.3625 (to reach a clinician by phone, 24/7)
- How to Access Mental Health Services (infographic)
- Health Promotion
Public Health Protocols in the Student Wellness Center
We are following the guidance of UChicago Medicine as well as local, state, and federal public health officials as we continue to deliver care. Students and staff entering the Student Wellness Center are expected to follow strict public health protocols, including a temperature check and symptom attestation at the door, wearing of face masks at all times, use of hand sanitizer upon entry, and social distancing (except when physical proximity is necessary for a clinical encounter). We are taking other measures, including heightened cleaning of our facility, reduced seating capacity in the waiting areas, staggered visit times, and placement of hand sanitizer stations throughout the building. Remember, as described on this page, many services are being provided virtually, so you may not need to come into the center in person.
- For appointments or medical advice, including questions about COVID-19 testing or follow-up care, call 773.834.WELL. The medical service is available 8 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday.
- Our staff can help you schedule an appointment with one of our clinicians. If you have any symptoms of an upper respiratory illness, be sure to indicate this when you call.
- In order to practice social distancing and minimize the chance of exposure to staff and students, we are not accepting walk-in visits at this time.
- If it is determined that your situation warrants an in-person visit or bloodwork, we will schedule a time for you to come to the Wellness Center in person. If you are not currently near the Hyde Park campus and your need cannot be met telephonically, you may be encouraged to visit an urgent care or emergency facility near you.
- As always, students needing immediate treatment of very serious or critical conditions should contact 911 or go to the nearest emergency room (the University of Chicago Medicine’s Emergency Department is located at 5656 South Maryland Avenue).
After-Hours Medical Options
- After the medical service is closed, you can reach the Nurse Advice Line at 773.834.WELL to speak with an experienced Registered Nurse.
- In addition to the telephonic/virtual care that our clinicians are currently providing during business hours, students on U-SHIP may reach a doctor 24/7 via the HealthiestYou telehealth option offered through UnitedHealthcare by visiting telehealth4students.com or calling 855-866-0895.
- Students not on U-SHIP should contact their insurance provider, as many insurance companies offer low- or no-cost telehealth options. Students not on U-SHIP may also use the HealthiestYou service listed above for a $40 fee.
Medical Care: Off Campus
- If you have already established a relationship with a local provider, please consult with that provider.
- Students on U-SHIP may contact the UnitedHealthcare StudentResources on-campus insurance coordinators at 773.834.4543 (press option 2) to receive help in finding local providers that are in-network.
- If you are not on U-SHIP, please contact your insurance company to locate an in-network provider in your community.
Mental Health Services
- For general inquiries or to make an appointment, call 773.834.WELL. Office hours for counseling and psychiatric care are 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday, with additional 24/7 options listed below.
- Initial mental health appointments will be made available by phone. Ongoing counseling, check-ins, urgent consultations, and psychiatry services are available by phone or via Zoom.
- No matter where you are, students can reach a trained mental health clinician-on-call, 24/7, at 773.702.3625.
- Single-session weekly workshops are designed to help you cope and stay resilient. Visit the Weekly Workshops page to learn more.
- Virtual Let's Talk provides easy access to free, informal, and confidential consultations with therapists. Visit the Let's Talk page for more information.
- An FAQ about counseling and psychiatry services is available online.
Mental Health Services: Off Campus
- If you have already established a relationship with a local provider, please consult with that provider about their recommended treatment plan.
- If you have not yet established a relationship with a provider but are interested in seeing one, you may contact our counseling team at 773.834.WELL to receive help in finding a clinician in your community.
- Students who are on U-SHIP and are more than 50 miles from campus have access to any providers who are in network with United Behavioral Health. A slightly higher copay may apply. If you’d like to learn more about these benefits, please contact our UnitedHealthcare StudentResources on-campus insurance coordinators at 773.834.4543 (press option 2).
Our health promotion team is offering programs virtually, including Mindfulness Meditation, Refresh Sleep, and Wellness Coaching. For more details, visit the Virtual Programming page or see our events calendar.
For Students on U-SHIP
UnitedHealthcare StudentResources has issued new information on coverage related to COVID-19. To read the latest, click here.