Please read – latest updates:
- Due to high call volumes, we ask that you do not call Student Wellness to schedule a COVID test or with questions about booster compliance. Please use the my.WellnessPortal whenever possible.
- COVID testing: We are temporarily expanding the campus COVID-19 testing program to include symptomatic and exposure testing. You may schedule a test on the appointments menu in the my.WellnessPortal.
- Booster compliance: View steps, deadlines, and key information. Please monitor your compliance status in the my.WellnessPortal for updates in the coming weeks, and upload your booster shot information as soon as you receive it.
- Medical visits: If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, you must first receive a negative test before you can be seen in-person for appointments at Student Wellness. A telehealth visit will be made available in the interim.
Maintaining the health and safety of our students and the staff who provide your physical and mental healthcare is a priority for us. UChicago Student Wellness remains available to students and will continue to deliver care virtually or in person, as described below.
- Mental Health
- 773.834.WELL (for general inquiries or to make an appointment)
- 773.702.3625 (to reach a clinician by phone, 24/7)
- How to Access Mental Health Services (infographic)
- Health Promotion
- The medical service is available 8 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday.
- To schedule your appointment online, please visit the my.WellnessPortal. If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please call 773.834.WELL for guidance before scheduling online.
- In order to practice social distancing and minimize the chance of exposure to staff and students, we are not accepting walk-in visits at this time.
- If it is determined that your situation warrants an in-person visit or bloodwork, we will schedule a time for you to come to the Student Wellness Center in person. If you are not currently near the Hyde Park campus and your need cannot be met telephonically, you may be encouraged to visit an urgent care or emergency facility near you.
- As always, students needing immediate treatment of very serious or critical conditions should contact 911 or go to the nearest emergency room (the University of Chicago Medicine’s Emergency Department is located at 5656 South Maryland Avenue).
After-Hours Medical Options
- After the medical service is closed, you can reach the Nurse Advice Line at 773.834.WELL to speak with an experienced Registered Nurse.
- In addition to the telephonic/virtual care that our clinicians are currently providing during business hours, students on U-SHIP may reach a doctor 24/7 via the HealthiestYou telehealth option offered through UnitedHealthcare by visiting telehealth4students.com or calling 855-866-0895.
- Students not on U-SHIP should contact their insurance provider, as many insurance companies offer low- or no-cost telehealth options. Students not on U-SHIP may also use the HealthiestYou service listed above for a modest fee.
Medical Care: Off Campus
- If you have already established a relationship with a local provider, please consult with that provider.
- Students on U-SHIP may contact the UnitedHealthcare StudentResources on-campus insurance coordinators at 773.834.4543 (press option 2) to receive help in finding local providers that are in-network.
- If you are not on U-SHIP, please contact your insurance company to locate an in-network provider in your community.
Mental Health Services
- For general inquiries or to make an appointment, call 773.834.WELL. Office hours for counseling and psychiatric care are 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday, with additional 24/7 options listed below.
- Ongoing counseling, check-ins, urgent consultations, and psychiatry services will be scheduled via telehealth or in-person based on the clinician's determination of which method best meets the clinical needs of the student.
- No matter where you are, students can reach a trained mental health clinician-on-call, 24/7, at 773.702.3625.
- Single-session weekly workshops are designed to help you cope and stay resilient. Visit the Weekly Workshops page to learn more.
- Virtual Let's Talk provides easy access to free, informal, and confidential consultations with therapists. Visit the Let's Talk page for more information.
Mental Health Services: Off Campus
- If you have already established a relationship with a local provider, please consult with that provider about their recommended treatment plan.
- If you have not yet established a relationship with a provider but are interested in seeing one, you may contact our counseling team at 773.834.WELL to receive help in finding a clinician in your community.
- Students who are on U-SHIP and are more than 50 miles from campus have access to any providers who are in network with United Behavioral Health. A slightly higher copay may apply. If you’d like to learn more about these benefits, please contact our UnitedHealthcare StudentResources on-campus insurance coordinators at 773.834.4543 (press option 2).
Our health promotion team is offering programs virtually, including Mindfulness Meditation, Refresh Sleep, and Wellness Coaching. For more details, visit the Wellbeing Programs and Initiatives page or see our events calendar.
For Students on U-SHIP
UnitedHealthcare StudentResources has issued new information on coverage related to COVID-19. To read the latest, click here.
- VIDEO: A COVID-19 Update from UChicago Medicine Experts
- COVID-19 Testing Information for Students
- You May Have A Viral Illness or COVID-19: What You Must Know to Protect Yourself and Others (UChicago Medicine resource)
- Information and Resources from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Student Resources for Care After COVID-19