Information for the 2017-2018 academic year will be available on this website in July. The below information is for the 2016-2017 academic year to use as a reference until updated information is available.
University Policy Regarding Health Insurance 2016-2017
Health insurance coverage is mandatory for all eligible students. You can fulfill the insurance requirement by:
- Confirming your U-SHIP enrollment, or
- Waiving enrollment by affirming proof of alternate insurance that meets the University's comparable coverage requirements. Click here to view this past year's comparable insurance checklist. Note: Students must waive insurance at the start of each academic year.
The University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP) is underwritten by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company and is administered by UnitedHealthcare StudentResources. Use the links below to find more information on the U-SHIP plan.
- University of Chicago page on the UnitedHealthcare StudentResources website
- 2016–2017 U-SHIP Summary Brochure
- 2016–2017 U-SHIP Policy Guide
- University Student Health Insurance Requirements (letter to parents/guardians of incoming undergraduate students)
Open Enrollment and Deadlines
- Unless you waive U-SHIP during the enrollment period, you will remain enrolled in U-SHIP and the Office of the Bursar will bill you for the annual payment of $3,615 for the entire 2016–2017 plan year (September 1, 2016–August 31, 2017).
- You must complete the enrollment/waiver process each academic year to ensure you have a current insurance selection on file with the University.
- After the enrollment period, your insurance selection on file will remain effective until August 31, 2017. To view your current insurance selection, login to myUChicago.
Please note: dependents are not automatically enrolled in U-SHIP; you must add them to your coverage each year.
Summer Only Enrollment
The premium for students who enroll in summer only coverage (6/19/17 to 8/31/17) is $740.
Create a U-SHIP Account
Once you enroll in U-SHIP, United Healthcare will send you an e-mail confirming your enrollment and include instructions on how to create your MyAccount.
Can I Opt-In to U-SHIP?
If you're enrolled in one of the following programs, you can opt-in to U-SHIP by purchasing coverage directly through UnitedHealthcare:
- Booth School evening and part-time programs
- Social Service Administration evening and post-Masters certificate programs
Graham School of Continuing Studies (following programs only):
- Master of Liberal Arts
- Master of Science in Analytics
- Master of Science in Threat and Response Management
- Master of Science in Biomedical Informatics
The deadline to opt in to U-SHIP is the first Friday of the each quarter.
You can opt-in to U-SHIP coverage for the entire plan year, or you can enroll (continuously) on a quarterly basis.
Please note: Most students are assessed a Student Life Fee (SLF) each quarter, which gives access to Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS) in Hyde Park.
Are you graduating from the university soon? If you are graduating and want to learn about how to extend your coverage, you can access more information here.