What is the Better Together Campaign?
The Better Together campaign was created by the Wellness Advisory Board (WAB) to emphasize the importance of students connecting with one another to strengthen their emotional wellness. Data from UChicago's 2014 Healthy Minds Study showed that over half of both college and graduate students felt lonely. Much of this was attributed to students not developing lasting connections with their peers.
The Better Together campaign encourages students to change their attitudes around the importance of connecting with others by:
- Providing suggestions of how to connect with one another
- Highlighting research showing the benefits of social connectedness
- Linking students to events, programs and services on campus that encourage connecting with others
How Can You Participate in this Campaign?
Staff: use #ucbettertogether to find events and programs around campus that encourage connecting with others. You can use the hashtag in your social media posts, include it on marketing materials and in e-mails sent to students.
Students: use #ucbettertogether to find events and programs around campus that encourage connecting with others. Use #ucbettertogether via social media to share photos of how you spend time with your family, friends, roommates and others.
What are the Goals of Better Together?
The overall goals of this campaign are to:
- Change students’ attitudes about the importance of developing social connections
- Increase students' intention of becoming more connected with others
- Decrease feelings of loneliness among UChicago students