For UCARE certification, review the information presented in the online presentation (see below) and complete the certification test online.
At the end of the slide show, you will be required to take a short quiz. The exam will be submitted for grading when you click "Submit". To pass, you must score 85% or better. If there is a problem with your exam, you will be contacted via email to meet to discuss the areas that were answered incorrectly. Once you have passed the exam, your name, the date you took the exam, and the department/group you represent will be kept on file at Health Promotion and Wellnesss as well as at the Center for Leadership and Involvement (CLI) office and with department heads. The certification is good for 2 years for students and 3 years for faculty and staff.
Important UCARE information
UCARE is an alcohol misuse and risk reduction program that supports student well-being and gives you:
- Harm reduction techniques to help prevent alcohol related harm
- Tips to plan and execute a safe social event
University of Chicago Alcohol Policy (these are steps you MUST follow):
- Alcoholic beverages may not be served at any event at which undergraduates are present unless prior written approval has been obtained at least one week in advance from CLI or the appropriate Dean of Students.
- Illinois law prohibits the consumption and possession of alcohol by persons under the age of 21 and the supplying of alcohol to any person under the age of 21.
- University officials or agents of the University have the authority to prohibit attendees from bringing alcoholic beverages to a function or into a building, including events held in outdoor areas such as the quads. Such beverages may be confiscated by the official or agent. Other drugs will never be permitted at functions.
- Appropriate precautions must be taken to ensure that event participants under 21 do not have access to alcoholic beverages.
- Sufficient amounts of non-alcoholic beverages must be readily available at all times during the event.
- Individuals will not be allowed to take alcohol with them when they leave the event.
A complete description of the Alcohol Policy is available in the Student Manual of University Policies and Regulations.
Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) must adhere to CLI guidelines for serving alcohol.
Center for Leadership and Involvement (CLI) Guidelines:
- Provide sufficient amounts of non-alcoholic beverages
- Only beer or wine may be served at campus events (unless approved by the Department Dean)
- Offer adequate quantities of non-salty foods
- Keep alcohol consumption and serving to limited approved area
There may be no reference to the availability of alcohol in any publicity for the event. Suggestions for signage include:
- Please make sure to bring appropriate IDs. All IDs will be check at the door
- Beverages will be served, make sure to bring the appropriate form of identification
- Set a drink limit of 1 drink per person per hour
- Plan on 2 non-alcoholic drinks to every 3 alcoholic drinks purchased
- Serve foods rich in protein and carbohydrates (bread, cheese and crackers, cookies, etc.)
- Stop serving alcohol 30 minutes before the event’s end
- Arrange for a cab or van service to ensure safe rides home
Begin UCARE Training (users must use Firefox or Chrome.) On the next window, you must click download to start the training. Once downloaded you will be able to click through the presentation and access the URLs.