Student Counseling Groups
Group therapy is a form of counseling that has been proven to be highly effective in many clinical trials. Groups at SCS create a welcoming, non-judgmental environment where students can feel comfortable being open and honest about their struggles or current life situations.
What can group therapy offer you?
- Allows you to find more clarity about your current challenges with the help of a support system and a knowledgeable counselor.
- Provides the opportunity for students to share and listen to the experiences of other group members.
- Creates a safe space where members can give and receive feedback, support, and validation from others who have had similar experiences.
- Allows students to have their own journey in the group, a journey that is enriched by the support and experience of others.
Joining a Group
Each quarter, SCS offers several group options designed to help you navigate a variety of situations that may arise during your time at UChicago.
Groups are offered for both undergraduate and/or graduate students. Groups at SCS typically require you to complete a pre-group interview with a group facilitator to ensure that the group is a good fit. If it isn't, SCS will make every effort to find an appropriate group opportunity or additional resources for you.
Please see below for this quarter’s group offerings.
For Graduate and Undergraduate Students (combined)
- Nurturing Each Other, Healing Ourselves (Group for Women of Color)
- Kaleidoscope (Interpersonal Process group for Students of Color)
- Coming out and Beyond (a support group for LGBTQ individuals)
For Graduate Students only
- Unfollow Your Inner Critic (ACT-based group for Graduate students)
- Graduate Women's Counseling Group
For College Students only
- ACT with Meaning (ACT for Anxiety)
Coming Spring 2018
- RWS - Recovering with Support (Group for sexual assault survivors)